Toyota 1ZR-FE/FAE Engine
|Manufacturer||Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia
|Also called||Toyota 1ZR|
|Cylinder block alloy||Aluminum|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||78.5 (3.09)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||80.5 (3.17)|
|Displacement||1598 cc (144.1 cu in)|
|Power output||92 kW (126 HP) at 6,000 rpm
97 kW (134 HP) at 6,400 rpm
|Torque output||157 Nm (116 lb·ft) at 5,200 rpm
160 Nm (118 lb·ft) at 4,400 rpm
|HP per liter||78.8
|Weight, kg (lbs)||–|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for Corolla E140
|Turbocharger|| Naturally aspirated
|Oil consumption, L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||0W-20
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||4.7 (5.0)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||5,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||–|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
|The engine is installed in||Toyota Avensis
The ZR models were introduced in 2007. They replace Toyota ZZ engines. They included 1.6-liter 1ZRs, 1.8-liter 2ZR, and 2.0 liter 3ZR. In addition to those ones, the 1.6 liter 4ZR and 1.8 liter 5ZR were produced for a Chinese market. The younger and quite a popular 1ZR type replaced the 3ZZ engine. For decreasing sleeves tension in the 1ZR, the cylinder axle isn’t crossed with the crankshaft axle.
Inside the cylinder head, a variable valve timing Dual VVT-i started to be applied on the intake and exhaust camshafts. In addition to this, a Valvematic system controlling intake valve elevation appeared. Controlling range is 0,9 – 10,9 mm. Inside the 1ZR, the hydraulic lifters were located. So, one doesn’t need to adjust the valves.
By a new Toyota trend, the 1ZR engine has got an aluminium block without any repair size. That thing impacts the engine’s reliability and maintainability. Having run 150,000 miles (250,000km) and more, you will probably have to replace the engine with a new one.
Toyota 1ZR engine modifications and differences
1. The 1ZR-FE model (2007 – present) is the main engine fitted with a dual VVTi with its compression ratio of 10.2, power of 124 HP at 6000 rpm, and a torque of 157 Nm (116 lb•ft) at 5200 rpm. The given motor was provided for Toyota Corolla and Toyota Auris.
2. The 1ZR-FAE model (2009 – present) is similar to the 1ZR-FE, bu it has got a Dual-VVTi and Valvematic. Its compression ratio has been increased to 10.7, engine capacity comprises 132 horsepower at 6400 rpm, and torque is 160 Nm (118 lb•ft) at 4400 rpm. The engine was installed in Toyota Corolla, Auris, Avensis, Verso and Lotus Elise.
Toyota 1ZR engine problems and malfunctions
1. High oil consumption. It is common with the first modifications of the ZRs. To solve it, you need to use motor oil having a W30 viscosity level. If it doesn’t help and if the 1ZR keeps consuming much oil, you should check engine cylinder compression. There must be some problem with the engine’s valve stem seals and piston rings.
2. Knocking noise inside the 1ZR. It is the timing chain tensioner that usually makes noise at average rotations. Apart from that, the alternator belt can also make noise and whistle. Check it and buy a new one if necessary.
3. Rough idle. Check the condition of the throttle body and throttle position sensor.
Besides, having run 30,000 – 50,000 miles (50,000-70,000 km), your car can have some problems associated with the water pump. It often leaks and makes noise in the 1ZR. Buy a new water pump to replace the old one. If the engine doesn’t want to warm up to the necessary temperature, inspect the thermostat for it could have broken down. The problems with the VVTi valve are seldom. Once the car has faced them, its power gets decreased.
Nevertheless, the above-mentioned troubles are quite rare if you vehicle is appropriately maintained. In such a case the 1ZR can stand out about 150,000 miles ( 250,000 km) of mileage.
1ZR Turbo. 1ZR-FTE
Properly building the 1ZR turbo engine is described HERE. They take a 2ZR modification as an example. As far as the engines are alike, the 1ZR/3ZR types have the same features.
1ZR to 2ZR. 1ZR Stroker
For displacement increase in the 1ZR to 1.8-litre, you need to buy a crankshaft and some 2ZR pistons. They will work on the stock 1ZR ECU. Though, you’d rather go and buy a 2ZR ECU.