BMW N54 Engine (N54B30)
|Also called||BMW N54|
|Cylinder block alloy||Aluminium|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||89.6 (3.53)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||84 (3.3)|
|Displacement||2979 cc (181.8 cu in)|
|Power output||225 kW (306 HP) at 5,800 rpm
240 kW (326 HP) at 5,800 rpm
250 kW (340 HP) at 5,900 rpm
|Torque output||400 Nm (295 lb·ft) at 1,300-5,000 rpm
450 Nm (332 lb·ft) at 1,500-4,500 rpm
450 Nm (332 lb·ft) at 1,500-4,500 rpm
|HP per liter||102.7
|Weight, kg (lbs)||~145 (320)|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for E90 335i
2 x Mitsubishi TD03-10TK3
|Oil consumption, L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 0.7
(1 qt. per 850 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||6.5 (6.9)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||7,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||~115 (240)|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
|The engine is installed in||BMW 135i E82/E88
BMW 1-Series M Coupe E82
BMW 335i E90/E91/E92/E93
BMW 535i E60
BMW 740i F01
BMW X6 E71
BMW Z4 E89
Powerful straight-6 twin-turbocharged N54 (N54B30) was developed by Alpina in 2006 for fast BMW autos and crossovers. The motor is based on aluminum block of cylinders which is equal to M54B30 with cast iron sleeves. It also has newly developed cylinder block with direct injection Double-VANOS variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust camshafts system. Diameter of inlet valves is 31.44 mm, while exhaust valves are 28 mm in diameter. Characteristics of camshafts are as follows: duration 245/261 deg, lift 9.7 mm.
Boost is implemented with the help of two Mitsubishi TD03-10TK3 turbo chargers which operate in parallel. Every turbocharger is in charge of its 3 cylinders from the block. The N54 engine has a boost pressure of 0.55 bar/8 PSI. Previous engine control system was replaced by Siemens MSD 80/MSD 81.
N54B30 was mainly used for BMW 35i models as well as in 7-Series and 40i models. At the same time this motor could also be found under the bonnet of Alpina autos. They were modified and improved in order to perform 360-400 HP.
Alternative to N54 engine appeared in 2009. This is the time when bavarian engineers introduced their new turbocharged 6-cylinder N55 engine (N55B30).
At the same time N54 is still being produced by the company even nowadays.
BMW N54 engine modifications and differences
1. N54B30O0 (2006 – 2010) is a base modification with the following specs: Power – 306 HP at 5,800 rpm, 400 Nm of torque at 1,400-5,000 rpm. It was used for BMW models with 35i index.
2. N54B30 (2008 – 2012) is a version for BMW 740i and 335is with the following specs: Power – 326 HP at 5,800 rpm, 450 Nm of torque at 1,500-4,500 rpm. It differs from stock version by fan, radiator and ECU.
3. N54B30T0 (2010 – present) engine version has the following specs: Power – 340 HP at 5,900 rpm, 450 Nm of torque at 1 500-4,500 rpm (500 Nm Overboost). The main difference of this version is in improved cooling system (radiator and fan) as well as ECU. It was used for BMW 1M and BMW Z4 E89 sDrive35is models.
1. The most common problem of N54 engine is connected with high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). It will serve you not more than ~50 000 km (30 000 miles) of mileage in case you use fuel of low quality. The main symptoms of HPFP problems include reduced power; the price of new HPFP is not very high.
2. Sometimes problems of white smoke may also occur. This is when you need to check the coolant level which is the main cause of such problem in the majority of cases.
After 100,000 km (60,000 miles) of mileage high pressure fuel injectors often go out of order in N54 engines. The same duration term is for water pump and turbocharger. Spark plugs will serve for about 20,000 km (12,000 miles) of mileage.
Abovementioned figures also depend on level and type of usage.
Summing up we can say that this engine is rather reliable and powerful. Owners will hardly face any problems. At the same time this motor has high level of durability and long lifespan. In addition it is the best bet for those who like different tuning experiments. This is why BMW N54 is one of the best engines ever produced by major bavarian automaker.
N54 Turbo upgrade. Stage 1-2
You will not face any difficulties while upgrading your N54 engine. At the same time its modification will not cost you a fortune. Standard JB4/Cobb will be more than enough for a start. Stage 1 firmware will provide you with up to 350 HP. If you need to increase this rate to 400 HP, you need to modify cooling system (replace in fans and installing additional radiator). At the same time you also need to buy large intercooler as well as air filter. Don’t forget to purchase downpipes, performance exhaust system and oil coolers. BMS JB4/Cobb Stage 2 firmware provides with 400-420 HP. This is the best bet when it comes to tuning of BMW N54 engine. It combines power, availability and lifespan.
If you want to bring the level of power up to 450 HP, you will need to install Methanol Injection Kit.
Such mods will make it possible for your 135i/335i models to speed up to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds. N54 FBO Stage 2 firmware will make it possible to cover quarter mile in 11.3 seconds. Stock version of BMW 335i N54 will cover ¼ mile in about 13.2-13.4 seconds.
Big single turbo kit along with cylinder block head porting will provide our engine with maximum power. You will benefit from wide range of different components. You can use Alpine B3 S Biturbo head gasket in order to reduce compression ratio. The N54 engines stock internals are able to handle with 650-700 HP.